Easy, Inexpensive DIY for Outdated Tile Floors
Hi friends! Remember awhile back when I posted this SUPER easy inexpensive DIY kitchen back-splash? I am FINALLY getting around to another fun, pretty painless way to transform one of my small spaces - the front entryway. My entryway is small - not quite 25 square feet, and although it's tiny - it's been a bit of any eyesore, thanks to the old tile. While it was in good shape, the green hue was definitely not my taste, and didn't come close to coordinating with ANYTHING in my home.
Since a brand new floor isn't possible right now, after loads of research, I decided painting was the way to go. I am infatuated with the result and cannot believe how dramatic the change is (for such a small space). Check out this birdseye view on my Instagram as well:)
Step 1: Clean, Clean and Clean. I used bleach water and a lot of elbow grease to make sure my floor was ready for it's transformation.
Step 2: Prime. Since in the 1,000,347 (or what seemed like that many), articles I read, a number of people used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer, I decided it was good enough for me as well. The indoor/outdoor primer sticks to all surfaces, even those not sanded. I used two coats on my dark floors, and although it was super easy to apply and offers good coverage, I was disappointed with the "quick" drying time. The can said an hour - it was hours before I could apply a second coat. Just an FYI if you ever use it.
Step 3: Paint. I first painted the entire floor white, using Colorplace Semi-Gloss Grab-N-Go. I again used two coats.
Step 4: Add the Black. I was originally going to strategically tape off the floor right down the center of the grout to make sure each of my squares were absolutely perfectly equal in size. BUT, a bad tape experience a long time ago made me a little nervous...and honestly, that seemed like a lot of work! Instead, with a foam brush, I painted every other square with Colorplace Semi-Gloss Grab-N-Go in Onxy Black, including the grout. While "technically" the black squares are larger, I don't think it's noticeable.
Step 5: Protect. While most instructional blogs or videos used only two coats of polyurethane to protect the floor. I used three...just in case. I LOVED using the Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane in Clear Gloss, because unlike the primer, it actually did dry fast. I applied each coat every 60 to 90 minutes, then waited a full 24 hours before actually stepping on my floor.
Like I mentioned, I'm so excited for my "new" floor. This isn't a heavily trafficked area for me, but so far, there are no scratches (even from my heels) and I've not only walked all over it, I've swept and cleaned it already (amazing how much more dirt shows now, lol...the one downfall I suppose!).
Can't wait to hear your thoughts and if your considering this easy DIY project, be sure to ask any questions you might have in the comments section below. Since this is such a small space, this whole lil' project only cost about $25 and I have plenty of everything left over.
Enjoy your weekend friends!