A chill may still be in the air, but spring and summer activities are right around the corner, which is why we thought it important to post the below skin cancer awareness tips (Skin Cancer Awareness Month takes place in May). World renowned celebrity plastic surgeon Dr. Gerald Imber (DrImber.com) shares the below tips based on his philosophy: prevention - maintenance - treatment, to help protect against skin cancer.
· Damaging sunlight involves two portions of the light spectrum: UVA and UVB.
UVB rays cause tanning and skin cancers in the superficial layer of the skin, and are prevalent in the mid day of the summer season. (10-4).
UVA rays are much more common, up to 50x more than UVB, and penetrate to the deep layer of the skin (dermis). They cause aging by denaturing collagen, and contribute to the development of skin cancers. UVA rays penetrate clothing and un-tinted glass. UVA and UVB are the best types of sunscreen. A combination of chemical ingredients as well as a sun block, or reflector of the sun’s rays is recommended. Do not believe claims of “waterproof or sport proof.” Sun protective clothing helps as well.
· Youth Corridor Soothe & Defend™ Moisturizer with SPF 30 UVA and UVB protection (www.youthcorridor.com) is a great daily use moisturizer and sunscreen. Many companies, like Neutrogena’s Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion, produce excellent titanium dioxide products for summer sun use.
· The most overlooked areas in need of protection are the nose, the neck and the back of the hands.
· It is not known whether any treatment can protect against incipient skin cancer, but aging accelerated by sun exposure is manifested in brown spots (sunspot), wrinkles and laxity of skin caused by collagen loss. These can be significantly reversed by certain laser treatments and by the daily application of antioxidant serums such as Youth Corridor (www.youthcorridor.com) Boost Skin Serum with 10% Vitamin C, E and Melatonin.
· It takes more than 25 years for skin cancer to develop. 80% of a lifetime of sun exposure occurs by age 18. Skin cancers typically develop after 50.
· Concerning skin cancer signs include irregular skin areas, growing lesions, or moles, and changing dark spots.
· 80% of all skin cancers are basal cell carcinoma usually cured by simple surgical excision. 10% are squamous cell carcinomas which have the ability to spread and must be excised more aggressively. The remaining 10% are melanomas, which are potentially lethal, and must be treated surgically, and very aggressively. These are typically very dark, spreading pigment spots, though occasionally may present in other forms.
· Skin cancers of the face present the difficult problem of removing them completely without defect or deformity. In areas like the nose, cheek or near the eyes skin, cancers are often removed by a technique called Moh’s Surgery. It actually maps the area and insures that all the cancer has been removed. This often leaves the patient with a difficult to repair defect. I have specialized in repairing difficult defects for several Moh’s surgeons for many years and the results are often nothing short of miraculous. It is a rewarding application of all the skills of the plastic surgeon, and an important service to provide the community.
Black Coffee Beautiful
Lifestyle blog with a focus in the areas of style and beauty.
So glad you stopped by! I'm Laura, a life and style blogger, tech geek and coffee lover (isn't everyone?). Catch me in the Midwest, Valpo to be exact, out for a run, or hanging with my cheer and dance teams. Or ya know, you could stay here and read a post or two:)
Drop Me a line: Laura@blackcoffeebeautiful.com
Seeing red (because it's the best) ❤️❤️❤️ The little red dress I've been wearing all summer long is on the blog now (link in profile)! BTW, what's your favorite color? #MyPrettyLife #red
Just casually watching the week roll by...find this jumper via the link in my profile and see some of my favorite jumpers for summer! #MyPrettyLife #jumpsuits #summerlook
Get excited, some of your favorite local locations to shop and eat are giving you the chance to win big! To enter, just make sure you're following the 6 accounts mentioned below. Earn an extra entry by reposting this picture to your account. *$25 GC plus Ollie + Max Soap, The SpOiled Housewife Lotion Bar and Lizush Shower Steamer from @asterandgray.
*$25 GC plus MALVI Marshmallows and a Rosy Rings Travel Candle from @shop_ivy_boutique
*$35 GC from @LaMaisonValparaiso
*$50 GC from @StacksValpo
*$50 Visa GC from @Laura_Yoder
Contest ends 7/21/18, winner will be announced 7/22 on @ShopLocalGiveaways! Good luck!!
This is literally me jumping for joy, every single weekend. BTW, this Tommy Hilfiger tank is on clearance now...shop it via the link in my profile! #MyPrettyLife #jumpjump #tommyhilfiger
This lil' guy is all I use to take my blog pics. I'd be lost w/o my @canonusa EOS Rebel! Use the link in my profile to shop not just the camera, but my favorite denim dresses for summer (because everything goes with denim, including a Canon). P. S. Most of the dresses are on sale, including a Michael Kors cutie that I have no-doubt would look amazing in your closet😜😜😜 #MyPrettyLife #DressToImpress #photography📷 #canon📷
Today's forecast: sunny with a touch of boho☀️☀️☀️ One of my favorite outfit combos is a sweater with shorts. Unfortunately in Indiana, there's only about 4 hours a year when I can actually wear it (we like things really hot or really cold here in the Crossroads of America)🔥❄🔥 In case you missed this look earlier in the spring on the blog, I'm relinking to it now. Necklace is from @shopcriscara and sweater is from @shop_ivy_boutique 😘😘😘 #MyPrettyLife #bohojewelry #indiana
When you just can't Monday anymore...gotta break out the cute shoes😍👠😍 New outfit post featuring my @eight_and_sand Gingham top and wrap skirt is live...link in profile! #MyPrettyLife #mondaymood #shoegame
Business in the front, total party in the back! Loving this embroidered button-down from the ILY Couture line I received from @shophellofashion 🎉🎉🎉 So much cuteness! On sale now via the link in my profile! #MyPrettyLife #ShopHelloFashion #sunday #Sponsored
Just over here waitin' for the weekend and inwardly protesting that the 4th of July is over😢😢😢 Also, ICYMI, relinked to this post in my profile, featuring some of my favorite summer jumpsuits. 💕💕💕 #MyPrettyLife #jumpsuit #summerday
(#ad) OMG guys, we are SO close to the 4th of July - so do you have your patriotic outfit picked out yet??? 🤩🤩🤩If you're still searching, @macys and Tommy Hilfiger got you girl! How cute is this tank from their sportswear fashion line??? I just posted this look one the blog (link in profile) so check it out and if course, check out the full line of cute options for summer! 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 #MacysLove #TommyHilfiger #4thofjuly